Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 7...


...They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor (Isaiah 61:3)...



Morning Meditation, Day 7:

“You need milk, not solid food!” (Heb. 5:12b)


Why are so many still stuck sipping spiritual milk? Solomon, in Proverbs 17:16, poses a question that helps us understand our sluggishness, “Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom, seeing he hath no heart to it? We lack the cultivation of heart that is necessary to embrace strong spiritual food, which, by the way, brings about greater fruit in our lives.


Paul, speaking to the Corinthian church, addressed this dilemma. “Brothers I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. You are still worldly. For since there is jealously and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere (natural) men?” (I Cor. 3:1-4). While they remained worldly, there was no heart for more. There needed to be growth before they could receive the meat of God’s word. We need to grow before we can handle strong meat.

The writer of Hebrews also encountered this problem among his audience. “We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.” (Heb. 5:11). He complains that while they should be teachers, they really need to return to the simple stuff, the milk. This writer teaches that the turning point comes when we embrace the teaching of righteousness (v. 13). “But solid food”, he says, “is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.”


The mature, spiritual heart that has set aside worldliness and evil, and has embraced love and righteousness—the love of good, is prepared to go on with God by feeding on the weightier things of His word. Let’s offer ourselves to God and allow Him to bring us to maturity so that we might know the deeper truths of God.

To Consider:

Psalm 139:23-24: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Are you fulfilling your responsibilities in the kingdom of God? (Matt. 25:14-30)
a) Giving faithfully (Malachi 3:6-8; II Cor. 8:1-15; 9:6-11; Phil. 4:10-19)
b) Serving others willingly and in love (Gal. 5:13; Rom. 12:11)
c) As a peacemaker, actively seeking the unity of the Spirit (Matt. 5:9; Eph. 4:3)
d) Do you respect and love your Christian leaders and support them? (I Tim. 5:17-18; I Pet. 1-5


Evening Reading, Day 7:

Psalm 119:49-56

ז Zayin
49 Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope. 50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life. 51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law. 52 I remember, LORD, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them. 53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law. 54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge. 55 In the night, LORD, I remember your name, that I may keep your law. 56 This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.

3 comments:

Jaimie said...

the 'glory of dying'...

Philippians 2:5-8
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God,did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!

Glory came after suffering and death. What are we willing to suffer to see the Glory of God?

No matter what anyone is doing or not doing or how "unfair" or hard things may be, are we willing to quietly 'take the beating' while praying for our enemies, or to give no matter what the cost, in order to be raised in His glory?

Romans 6:5
For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.

Matthew 16:25
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

Barb Papageorgiou said...

In fulfilling the responsibilites of the kingom of God we have to once again base it on LOVE. Love must be the motivation of our heart. Because we Love we give faithfully, we serve others, we keep the peace, we love those who are over us. God thank you for real Love it truly never fails.

Keri said...

"This living Word is not given to us just because of the narratives or the wonderful parables that Jesus taught, but so that we, through it, might be changed. Beloved, His presence is so remarkable that if we will but call on Him, believing that He has the power to give eternal life at His command, we will be changed in body, soul and spirit."
--Smith Wigglesworth