Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 12...


Morning Meditation:

“Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.”

Most of us have experienced it. If you are a parent, you have definitely seen it: arms crossed, nose wrinkled, and feet planted; you know they heard you, but they are not moving—defiance! It is unbecoming at anytime, at any age, and in anyone, but demonstrated before God by His own children is ruinous.

What is our posture before God when we hear His word? Our posture will determine the outcome of our lives. We have seen that those who defiantly refuse God’s word end poorly. If we desire to avoid shipwreck, we have to shift our posture before God when we hear His word.
James, in our scripture verse today, tells us how we ought to position ourselves before God when He speaks to us. Knowing that God knows better than we do we bow in humility and submission to His Fatherly pleadings. We must cultivate a teachable spirit before the Lord lest we encounter God resisting us. Later in his letter, James shows us that, “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

Solomon exhorts us with the following words that really get to the heart of the matter. He wrote in Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding: in all you ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” If we want to enjoy the benefits that come from God’s word, we must learn to distrust ourselves, and cling to God with all of our heart.

To Consider:

Psalm 139:23-24: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Are you constantly aware of the need to share the gospel with those who do not know Christ yet and take advantage of the opportunities God gives you to share your faith? (Mark. 1:17; 16:15; Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 1:8)


Evening Reading:

Psalm 119:89-96
ל Lamedh
89 Your word, LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. 90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures. 91 Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you. 92 If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. 93 I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life. 94 Save me, for I am yours; I have sought out your precepts. 95 The wicked are waiting to destroy me, but I will ponder your statutes. 96 To all perfection I see a limit, but your commands are boundless.

No comments: