Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 14...


Morning Meditation:

“Therefore, since the promise of entering His rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.” (Hebrews 4:1-2)

Problems abound, as Jesus’ “Parable of the Sower” demonstrates, in the business of planting the word of God in the soil of the human heart. The good news is that there is good heart soil—hopefully, in you and I.
We have recently seen that humility, teachability, and trust are among the necessary minerals found in good soil.
Our verse today reveals yet another dimension of the good heart. The lesson comes to us through the example of Israel’s unbelief concerning God’s promise to give them the Land of Canaan. God did indeed give them the word of promise, but it was ineffective. Israel failed to germinate the word with heart-felt faith. The failure to embrace the word with faith is, too often, the core issue regarding our lack of receptibility to the word. Pride is repulsive, but unbelief is insulting to God.
The author of The Book of Hebrews challenged his listeners saying, “Take care, brethern, lest there should be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart, in falling away from the living God (Heb. 3:12). Unbelief is equated with evil. If we want to be good soil, we will have to quench unbelief and believe. Jesus powerfully and simply said, “Have faith in God” (Mk. 11:22). Do you?

To consider:

Psalm 139:23-24: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Are you honoring God by constantly seeking His direction for your life? (Pro. 3:5-6)

Evening Reading:

Psalm 119:105-112
נ Nun
105 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. 106 I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws. 107 I have suffered much; preserve my life, LORD, according to your word. 108 Accept, LORD, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws. 109 Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law. 110 The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts. 111 Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart. 112 My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.

No comments: