Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 15...



Morning Meditation

“And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.” (I Thes. 2:13)

When we believe that God’s word is what it is, it becomes a powerful force in and through us. Paul stressed the fruit producing power of God’s word to the church at Colosse, where he said, “All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God’s grace in all its truth.” (Col. 1:6)
Luke, the author of the Book of Acts, wrote both his gospel (Luke) and Acts as an historical account to Theophilus of “all that Jesus began to do and to teach” (Act 1:1). The Book of Acts is a description of the activities of the new church empowered by the Holy Spirit, which resulted in the spread of the word of God to all nations.
Luke summarized the expansion as he observed the word of God taking root and bringing forth fruit as people believed it. He recognized phases of growth and set markers to indicate what had been done, and what was yet to come. To demonstrate the growth in Jerusalem he wrote in Acts 6:7, “So the word of God spread. The number of the disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly....” In Acts 12:24 Luke recaps the spread of the gospel to include the gentiles under the ministry of Peter and Paul saying, “But the word of God continued to increase and spread.” As it increased among the believers, it naturally spread out to others. Finally, in Acts 19:20, Luke records the city-wide campaign that powerfully impacted the city of Ephesus noting, “In this way the word of the Lord spread widely and grew in power.” Luke left the rest of the book open ended for us to complete. Amen!


To Consider:

Psalm 139:23-24: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Are you lovingly fulfilling your responsibilities to your spouse, children, and extended family? (Eph. 5:22-6:4; I Tim. 5:3-8; James 1:27 I Pet. 3:1-7)

Evening Reading:

Psalm 119:113-120
ס Samekh
113 I hate double-minded people, but I love your law. 114 You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. 115 Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God! 116 Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed. 117 Uphold me, and I will be delivered; I will always have regard for your decrees. 118 You reject all who stray from your decrees, for their delusions come to nothing. 119 All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross; therefore I love your statutes. 120 My flesh trembles in fear of you; I stand in awe of your laws.

No comments: