Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 3...



Morning Meditation, Day 3:

“And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.”
(Luke 10:39)

There is a time for everything else to stop. There are moments when even legitimate responsibilities should be put on hold. When the Lord draws us unto Himself (Psm. 27:8), when He stands at the door of our hearts and knocks (Rev. 3:20), how do we respond to Him? Do we drop our routine and dine with Him?

Mary was criticized severely by her overly anxious sister, Martha, for not helping to clean and prepare dinner. Martha did not get it; Mary did. She understood what was “needful” (Lk. 10:42) and gave herself to drink in every word that Jesus spoke. She, by conscious choice, untangled herself from all that was around her, and filled her heart and soul with the living word that absorbed her.

Jesus taught Martha discernment. You, he said, are overwhelmed with the temporary issues of life. Mary, however, has grasped the exceeding value of the eternal word, and it will not be taken from her. She made the right choice; Jesus confirmed it.

Martha was not bad, but she did fail to appreciate the time of His visitation. Her heart was overcharged with daily concerns leaving no room for Jesus to speak His word to her. It was a blown opportunity. Jesus intends that we learn from these examples and make the right choices at the right times. Grab a chair next to Mary.


To Consider:

Psalm 139:23-24: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Are you giving thanks to God in every circumstance of life? (I Thes. 5:17; Phil. 4:6-7; Psm. 100:4)


Evening Reading, Day 3:

(Psalm 119:17-24) (Read, meditate, and pray the passage)

ג Gimel
17 Be good to your servant while I live,
that I may obey your word.
18 Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law.
19 I am a stranger on earth;
do not hide your commands from me.
20 My soul is consumed with longing
for your laws at all times.
21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed,
those who stray from your commands.
22 Remove from me their scorn and contempt,
for I keep your statutes.
23 Though rulers sit together and slander me,
your servant will meditate on your decrees.
24 Your statutes are my delight;
they are my counselors.


4 comments:

Jaimie said...

This morning, my daughter was getting a little restless while waiting for breakfast...I told her it would be just a little longer and suggested that she lay on my bed and sing to Jesus while she waited. Right then, an instant connection was made - we are to sing to the Lord while we wait. I was reminded to praise Him and give thanks continually for His promises are true.

Psalm 103 has been on my heart all morning...

1 Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name. 2 Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - 3 who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, 4who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, 5 who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagles.

6 The Lord works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed,

7 He made known his ways to Moses, his deeds to the people of Israel; 8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. 9 He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; 10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. 11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; 12 as far as the east is from the West, so far has he removed our transgressions from us 13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; 14 for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. 15 As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; 16 the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. 17 But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children - 18with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

19 The Lord has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all.

20 Praise the Lord you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word. 21 Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts, you his servants who do his will. 22 Praise the Lord, all his works everywhere in his dominion.

Praise the Lord, O my soul.

Shari Reid said...

AS I am reading this morning I am reminded how much of a Martha I really am. I once played "Martha" in a play at New Life many years ago and I remember my kids saying to me "it wasn't like you were acting Mom, it was just like you!" I wish I could say I have changed much over the years, but I still see so much of Martha in me! What stood out as I read this is the phrase "A blown opportunity"! How different things could be if I STOPPED more and sought his face! Like David I say, "Your face, Lord, I will seek."

Barb Papageorgiou said...

We were all like Martha at one time. God said no one was good or seeking Him. God had to bring us to Jesus. We had to confess our belief. How wonderful of our God!!! He gives us His Word (who is Jesus manifested in the flesh) NOW what will we do with it. The kingdom of God is within you. This word Jesus spoke has been turning around and around in my spirit. It is Christ in you the hope of Glory. We are that temple where God, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus dwell, so we need to release this kingdom. How ? By the Word of God spoken out. Jesus said what is in your heart, will come out of your mouth. He also said where your treasure is so will your heart be. God desires to dwell, where, in our heart. Believe it today. We posses the kingdom in us and to know what you posses, you must read God's Word. May it richly dwell in you today and be activated by what you speak. In the book of Revelations it says we overcome by the Blood of Christ and the word of our testimony. What are you speaking today. Life or Death are in the power of the tongue. There is a power unleshed in your words. Lord help us to speak life.

Pastor Carl said...

Even in the hustle and bustle, I'm seeking to make Mary my example and take my seat next to hers. I just want to hear HIS voice on the inside of me; I want it to burn and burn and burn. When it burns, it will flow out unhindered and full of faith that moves mountains. Thank you Jesus for your visitation and the bread you feed us daily. Thank you for opening the hearts of my brothers and sisters o hear You too. There is an open chair right next to me with YOUR name on it. Come on!