Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 8: Give Me More than a Glimpse


“O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!” (Isa. 40:9)


It’s no casual gaze that Isaiah calls the people of God to. It’s dangerous; it’s costly! Moses, who got about as close to seeing God as any human being in history, was warned by God Himself, “Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live” (Exodus 33:20). Isaiah had but a brief glimpse and felt “undone” by the experience. You cannot behold the True God and not be unnerved.
Any genuine revelation of God, great or small, will move you to action; it will move you to tears, to shouts and dancing or to humbly bow your head. Standing still-remaining the same- is not an option. Maybe, although we constantly clamor for change, our desire for the status quo is the reason why we prefer our blinders. Beholding God in the beauty of His holiness shakes us to our core.
John exhorted his disciples, “Behold, the Lamb of God, which takes away the sins of the world.” Their gaze upon Jesus, the Son of God, was costly. It led them to leave all behind and follow Him the rest of the days of their lives. How will you be transformed as you fix your sights upon our God? You will, you know?

Ask God, in prayer, to strengthen you to make room in your heart for a fresh revelation of Him as Paul prayed for the Ephesians (Eph. 3:14-20). Tell God that you are ready and willing for life changing transformation leading you to follow Christ without reserve. Hold tight for the ride.

Consider:
I John 1:1-5; Revelation 5:1-6, 11-14; 22:1-5

7 comments:

hisbelovedlizc said...

Wow! Take the coal, burn my lips, here I am!
I can relate on such a small level with Isaiah's words spoken after getting a brief glimpse of God, "Woe is me, for I am undone!"
The times when I am closest to God, or experiencing a special 'move' of God, I am almost always reduced to tears. The image in the mirror starts to become less clouded and I see who I really am. Yet, at the same time, amazed that God love me anyway!

Barb Papageorgiou said...

I am bought to the story of Enoch. Not much is really said about him. It's in Genesis 5:21-24, My favorite verse is ...Enoch walked with God and he was not: for God took him. Wow, how I desire to be sooooo walking with God, that he would take me.

Barb Papageorgiou said...

When riding in the car with our grandson, Quentin {who they say has limited mental and physical capabilities} He saw a church with Jesus on the cross. This little guy said,"Look it's Jesus. Amen Alleluia!!! I was humbled and amazed at what he said when he looked upon the Lord.

Unknown said...

As I am home recovering, all I want to do is dwell on who HE is. I can't get past his gaze - how beautiful he is!! I am humbled by all he has done and I feel like I have been poured out till nothing is left. I am lost for more to say, except it brings me to tears to get a deeper glimpse of the beauty and majesty of our Lord!

Jaimie said...

My favorite song this week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Jv1Hf2oCw

Julie Pannecouk said...

god has moved many people towards him and his love towards others hes such an amazing god..while we pray duringthis fast we continue to worship him anyway we can god fills our stomachs..pray pray pray!!

Kathy said...

When I behold His beauty, I am brought to tears, for He loves me as I am. He...He is jealous for me!!!! What a thought! He is raptured by me! Totally mind boggling! He longs for a relationship with me....amazing!
What an AWSOME, AMAZING Go we serve.