Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 4: It's Time to Refocus

“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.” (Colossians 3:1-2)


Refocusing, after we have had our minds eye set on earthly objects for a lifetime, is a serious challenge. Habits, especially mental habits, are deeply engrained in our personality. They define, to a point, who we are and what we are likely to do. Familiarity, even in thought, just feels right to us. Why change? We need a compelling reason, if we are going to begin to reset our sights.
God, through the Prophet Isaiah, gives us a convincing argument: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9) Think of how much we will miss out on, if we don’t raise our sights to heaven through God’s word.

Seek God to make His thoughts and ways known and clear to you. Ask Him to draw back the curtain that separates heaven from earth. Pray that He teach you how to apply kingdom principles to earthly circumstances. Be thankful for heavenly perspectives on everyday life.

Consider:
Psalm 19

6 comments:

Barb Papageorgiou said...

The Holy Spirit is the key to knowing the things of God. He always reveals, Jesus to us. In Matt.14:26 Jesus states....the Holy Spirit whom the Father sill send in my name, he shall teach you ALL things, and bring ALL things to your remembrance... When I read God's Word, I never do it without asking the Holy Spirit to teach me. In Ephesians I 17,18 Paul prays for the Church to receive wisdom, revelation, knowledge,understanding....well please read it yourselves it is powerful. When your risen with Jesus, you have excess to the manifold wisdom of God.Ephes.3,10 Somebody shout Amen!!!!!

lori bunk said...

It still blows my mind every day how this amazing God, Creator of all, whose thoughts and ways are so far beyond my comprehension, wants to speak to me and guide my steps. Why wouldn't I want to refocus my life on the things that are above?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy Lowell said...

James 1:5 tells us, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

Today i am asking god for wisdom on refocusing my life to better glorify him. Amen!!

Michael said...

The fast is the perfect time to stop and bring all of life into focus. Ironically what I find is that my life so often becomes crowded with the temporal and insignificant, all the while the important things are left undone.

We find it so difficult to live from above. When we bring life into its proper focus so many of our "problems" disappear in light of His Truth.

Let us separate ourselves from the way of the world, and may we learn to walk by the Spirit.

A note on Salvatore's post - What was the joy for which Jesus was able to endure the cross...

Salvation for mankind. Eternal separation from us caused Him to endure the wrath of God and cross with joy.

We will not endure if we are not driven with the same love and concern for our fellow man both saved and lost. Do we "joyfully" endure for one another and for the world. I pray that God would work this into our hearts.

lori bunk said...

Today's Utmost (Thurs, Jan 7th) is REALLY GOOD! Take time to read it!

http://www.rbc.org/utmost/index.php