Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 17: Weakness Breeds Strength?



“but he (Jesus) said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." I will all the more gladly boast of my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” (II Corinthians 12:9-10)





Who doesn’t feel weak for the task? We do everything we can to hide, disguise, and make excuses for our weaknesses. Pride gets in our way of God’s intent. When we come to those valleys we can’t or won’t cross, He wants us to look to Him who opened the Red Sea. Maybe our problem isn’t Red Sea sized, but it is, none the less, more than we can handle.
It’s here that so many of us turn back. I thought God wanted me to do this, but there’s just no way it’s going to work! Really? Maybe God brought you out to the borders of impossibility to show you His power and glory. Maybe He wants to demonstrate how His grace can turn your weakness to power.
The Apostle Paul, in our scripture verses today, was desperate to be delivered from the powers that were arrayed against him. He prayed three times. The Lord’s response was, “My grace is sufficient for you...” Paul, instead of being puffed up, humbled himself and embraced his weaknesses knowing that the Lord was about to do something beyond his own ability.
When you think you can’t, think again. Rejoice in your weakness and take a step of faith to serve others in the power of God’s grace.

In humility, ask God to cloth you with His strength by giving you a generous portion of His grace. Tell Him that you won’t turn back from the call, when things get too tough. Thank Him than He knows what you need and that He will supply it in good measure.

Consider:
I Corinthians 1:25-29; Hebrews 4:14-16; Ephesians 3:14-21; Colossians 1:29

7 comments:

Carl DiVirgilio said...

I was blessed by the caption in the illustration this morning: "The task ahead of you is never greater than the power behind you. Amen! We are strong in the Lord, even when our own strength is dried up. It is amazing how He comes along side us and lifts us to new heights. Amazing!
Thank you, Lord, for sustaining us at all times and in all things. Amen.
Blessings

Barb Papageorgiou said...

I love David's heart towards God. The Book of Psalms, is full of God's wonderful working in Davids' life. {and us who trust in God's no respecter of persons policy!!} When David fell, he got up and looked towards God for everything he needed to go forward. If it was strength,grace,mercy,deliverance,
protection,forgiveness,wisdom,
healing...on and on I could go.
That's why David could praise God so fervently!!!! Psalms 59;16-17 says, But I will sing of thy power: yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble. Unto thee, O my strenght, will I sing: for God is my defence,and the God of my mercy!!!! Praise God!!!!

Corrie said...

This morning at prayer the joy of the Lord was so real to me! I saw a well in my heart that deep down was filled with the joy of the Lord but the enemy had stopped it up with past pain, rejection, hurts, worries and anxiety. During the prayer service I could see the Holy Spirit pushing that joy forth. As He pushed it was like a geyser the force pushed all those pains hurts out of the way. "Out of our bellies will flow rivers of Living Water" Thank you Holy Spirit!

Jaimie said...

Awhile back (8 months to be exact), God had spoken two things very clearly to me:

"My hand is upon you" and "my grace is sufficient for you."

Little did I know that for the next 8 months I would engage in an intense battle for my mind. Just the other day I wondered how I could continue to fight if I didn't even have the motivation to do what I know to do. It was then (by His power, with prayer and encouragement from others) that God intervened and showed me once again that I can't do it...but He can - that HE IS my strength. The next day I literally woke up with new focus and joy!!! Thank you, Lord!!! He has delivered me from a lot during this fast. He is so faithful and to think that He gave me His specific word & promise ahead of time, reminding me that "the power behind me is great"!!! To Him be the glory!!!

Unknown said...

My God is my strength and my song. I can't look back or what happened yesterday, but look ahead to what God has for me and I that his strength is made perfect in my weakness. Also, the JOY of the Lord is my strength. There is something about the JOY of the Lord that will immediately lift you up and pull you out of despair or depression. In your presence there is fullness of JOY ~ Psalm 16:11

Carl DiVirgilio said...

Joy seems to keep coming up today-literally! The prayer meeting was drenched with joy this morning as the Lord manifested His presence. I believe there are "pools of joy" for all those who wish to enjoy! Take a sip or two. Better, drink until you are full!

lori bunk said...

I know this is yesterday's post, but while re-reading this scripture, my heart was moved. Chris woke me up this morning with the news that Haiti had been hit again with the aftershock of the earthquake from last week. My prayer is that God's grace would be sufficient for the people of Haiti that are suffering. That the believers there would be able to stand and say "... for when I am weak, then I am made strong."