Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 11: I Will be There for You


“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” (Isaiah 41:10)




We want to be there for them-the ones we love. We want to see them through their highs and lows, their joys and sorrows, and their victories and struggles. But, we’re limited by space and time. We only have so much energy in a twenty four hour day. We can only be in one place at a time. We feel our confinement more in our day of easy travel and expanding opportunities that uproot people and transplant them, literally, around the globe. We just can’t be where “they” are all the time.
God, on the other hand, knows no barriers. His schedule is never overloaded and we’re never beyond His reach. He’s closer than a phone call away. When we need Him, He makes His presence felt right where we are. As the psalmist put it; “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1).
In fact, we sometimes think He’s a bit too close. God can be a bit intrusive, like guests who don’t know they’ve overstayed their visit. We feel like we’re being crowded; we want to hide a while, but there is no escaping the Eternal. The same psalmist, who was overjoyed at God’s presence when he was in trouble, seems to have tired of God when He searched him to the depths of his heart. “You hem me in-behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me....Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence” (Psm. 139:5, 7)?
We have to learn to live with and appreciate God at all times, because His presence is always appropriate, even when it’s uncomfortable. Let God be God. Has He come close to comfort and encourage you or to examine and correct you? Whatever His purpose at this moment, yield. What would life be like without God’s presence?

Give God thanks for those times you benefited from His presence, and ask forgiveness for those moments when you tried to hide. Give yourself to His abiding presence in prayer and rejoice in His continual care for you.

Consider
: Psalm 32:1-7; 139:1-24

14 comments:

Steve and Sarah said...

What a great scripture to wake up to! With a busy day ahead it is comforting to know God is my strength and He will be with me.

Barb Papageorgiou said...

It's easy to except the good things of God. His love, protection,goodness,blessings,mercy,grace, I could go on and on. However, I know when things are tough and God is saying something hard to hear,or things around us are not easy to understand or God tells us to do something we don't what to do. Jesus, challenges us and says like He said to Peter, "Will you also go away?" Peter said "Lord to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." May God steady our feet that in the hard things,we will stay with Him. I also am reminded of the scripture, Obedience, bring blessing.

hisbelovedlizc said...

"Surprise us with love at daybreak; then we'll skip and dance all the day long... Let your servants see what you're best at - the ways you rule and bless your children. And let the loveliness of our Lord, our God, rest on us, confirming the work that we do. Oh, yes. Affirm the work that we do!" (Ps.90:14, 16-17)MSG

Pastor Terry shared something he saw in the spirit this morning at prayer. In one hand, God held the answers to our prayers. In the other, all knowledge and wisdom concerning our past, present and His plans for our future.

The awesome part is that He wasn't even telling us we have to choose!

jeani said...

What is:
Love without God
Words without power
Praise without joy
Sacrifice without surrender
All are empty,I feel like I reached a place of emptiness in my life,Praise God because now in this broken place I am experiencing His fullness it is no longer my dreams and my plans,it's seeking His face and knowing His plan for my life. I surrender so I can live a life of sacrifice.

Jaimie said...

Good morning...What Pastor Terry pictured is right along the lines with what I pictured yesterday (see yesterdays' comments)- "He's got the whole world in His hands"

RayM said...

After pondering what Pastor Terry shared, I thought sometimes, if I can just step back from that one thing I've been praying for and focusing all my attention on, (and sometimes striving after and stessing over) and focus on Him instead, He shows a whole new world that I never even thought to ask about. My request is then either rendered insignificant or is shown to be a small part of something much greater.

Matthew 16:24-26

lori bunk said...

"Hiding Place"
by Starfield
http://bit.ly/HQszl

Michael said...

I was also encouraged by Pastor Terry's word at the prayer meeting (see hisbelovedlizc comment).
When he was speaking I was challenged to remember. To remember the times in my life that God has blessed. To remember how God has provided. There are so many instances of God's provision that amaze me when I look back at my past and when I think about the present. How He, knowing where and to what He has called me, has prepared everything that I need to accomplish what He wants me to do.

So often we lose sight of the goodness of God in light of our present and future needs/worries/doubts, and today was a challenge to seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. The irony of christianity is when we seek the things we are left unsatisfied and empty, and when we seek Him, we are blessed and filled. Our Heavenly Father wants to pour out His goodness on us. Let us remember His past faithfulness, and pursue Him knowing that He will provide for all of our needs according to His riches and glory.

Unknown said...

I agree with Steve and Sarah - what an AWESOME scripture to wake up to....although I woke up much later! “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” (Isaiah 41:10)
I thought this was perfect for all of us out there with prayer request for healing. God will strengthen us....do not fear...he is with us. That is such an encouragement for anyone sick, undergoing surgery or family members of those. Further down God says "For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, 'Fear not, I will help you'"

Carl DiVirgilio said...

Whose plan do you want? God made that choice clear at prayer today. It's so easy for us to go about making our own plans, but if we want God's blessing, we need to wait and listen for His counsel.
Plans forged by our personal desires will never be more than flesh, and flesh is as the grass; it dies. God wants us to have what is born of the Spirit; it will last for all eternity.
Wait, listen, then act! What a shift in mentality.

Jaimie said...

psalm 46:

1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.

5 God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.

Michael said...

John Howd asked me to post this.

It says in Romans 12:2 Be not conformed to this world:but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,that you may prove what is good and acceptable and prefect WILL OF GOD. God has been showing me things and giving me important info about what he wants for my life but for that to happen I have to live in spirit and not of the flesh. I don't want to be carnal anymore. It has brought me nothing but pain and suffering and I am praying for God to give me the strength to change to give me the wisdom to choose the path and to give clarity and understanding and revelation for my life. I am praying for the Lord to remove the obstacles in my life so I can serve Him and I know He can by His sufficient power.

Unknown said...

This is the scripture that was in my hand before surgery. I was afraid and God gave me this scripture more than a few times. I LOVE the truth in these words...I took this scripture and saw God show himself strong!!!!! Praise the Lord..claim it today!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.